Sunday, January 27, 2019

Premiering at SHOT 2019

This photograph, taken by me in 2012 and appearing in Kel-Tec's 2019 catalog:


Late last year, Oleg Volk called me up and said "Congratulations! You sold a photograph!"

My reply was "Blarghle?" or something similarly intelligent, as I had no idea what he was talking about.

"One of the pictures you took of me during the hog hunt," he explained. "Kel-Tec wanted pictures of the RFB for their catalog and they didn't like any of mine, but they loved yours. Since you took the picture, I paid you a licensing fee."

"Huh," I garbled while checking my PayPal. It's uncouth to discuss how much I received, so I'll just say that it went a long way towards easing the pain of Christmas bills.

If I'm being honest, I prefer this picture:


It's a lot more dynamic and really captures Oleg's personality. But I get why Kel-Tec chose the other photo: they want to showcase the rifle, not the shooter, and the one they picked does exactly that.

For the story of how I was part of a hog hunt with Oleg Volk, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.