Sunday, September 19, 2021

My Body, My Choice: Comparing Abortion to Lethal Self-Defense

Let's kick the hornet's nest right into the bubbling cauldron of poop and give it a good stir, shall we? 

"Erin, what are your thoughts on abortion?"

To me, speaking only for myself, the opinions I express are not that of any organization, etc etc, so on and so forth: Abortion carries the same weight as shooting someone in self defense. It's not something I ever want to do, but if the worst ever happens, I want it to be legal and available to me.

If I ever have to kill someone in self-defense, I'm pretty sure it'll mess me up psychologically, but it's better than me dying.

If I ever have to abort my child to save the life of my wife, I'm pretty sure it'll mess me up psychologically. But it's better than her and the child dying.

Some things are awful but need to be kept legal because the alternatives are more awful.

This, by the way, is why I despise abortions of convenience. Homicide to save a life is justified, but homicide because "I don't want to suffer the consequences of my actions" is reprehensible. That said, see the previous paragraph before you get mad.

I don't ever want to abort a child... but if it's necessary, I want it to be legal, I want it to be a viable option, and I want regulated and licensed professionals (i.e. members of the medical system) backing up my decision and giving me support. 

I don't ever want to kill someone in self-defense... but if it's necessary, I want it to be legal, I want it to be a viable option, and I want regulated and licensed professionals (i.e. members of the legal system) backing me up and giving me support. 

"My body, my choice" also includes "My choice in how I protect my body."


"But Erin, what about pregnancies resulting from rape and incest?"

I'm not those pregnant people, and so I'm not going to decide for them what's right and what's wrong.

Is it fair to force a woman (or worse, a minor) to carry the child of her assailant for 9 months, a constant reminder of her assault? Of course it isn't.

Is it fair to an unborn child to be terminated through no fault of its own? Of course it isn't.

Both choices are awful, and (thankfully) it's not my problem, so I leave that decision to the affected parties. It's between them, their consciences and whatever God(s) they have, and it's none of my business because I don't know all the facts and the decision doesn't affect me. 

Again, for those in the back: Some things are awful but need to be kept legal because the alternatives are more awful.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 


I'm certain this post will elicit a lot of heated discussion, so here are the ground rules:
  1. If you're rude, your comment won't be approved. 
  2. Benefit of the doubt will be given to people who post under proper accounts. Comments from anonymous people may or may not see the light of day, according to my whim. 
  3. Attack the argument, not the person. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that some awful things must be kept legal to avoid something more awful. Re abortion, God gave us free will so abortion through the first trimester should stay legal. However, education, ultrasounds, and counseling should accompany the procedure to make sure the pregnant girl knows exactly what is going to happen. And while we're at it, adoption should be easier and cheaper. See, abortions aren't promised in the Constitution but firearms ownership is.
    Ciao, for now, Bellisima!

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.