It may not be readily apparent, but Christianity can be incredibly goth. After all:
- Its chief symbol is an instrument of torture.
- The Sacrament of Communion is ritualized, symbolic Theophagy.
- Priests and Nuns wear black and white. That is old school goth, baby.
- Speaking of colors, look at the colors of the church year: Dark Blue. Red. Purple. Black.
- In fact, the entire season of Lent is one big ol' goth party. It starts with people wearing ash on their foreheads and ends with the death of God.
- The entire first half of the Book of Revelations is basically about all the cool people being feared, misunderstood and oppressed by The Man because of their religion, followed by persecution and death. But that's okay, because not long after that, all those people in power die hideously, and are tormented forever.
- This is the religion that invented self-flagellation... because cutting is for poseurs.
Now playing: E Nomine - Vater Unser