Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hangin' with Oleg, part 3

(Part 2 may be found here.)

The next day, I drove out to meet Oleg again for a feral hog hunt.

Let me say this right now:  I have no problem with hunters. I just don't like the idea of killing an innocent animal, so I personally will not do this.  I realize this makes me a gigantic wuss and that I am neglecting important survival skills, but that's my problem and not yours.

So when Oleg invited me to join him on a hunt, my initial reaction was to say no, and then explain why. He was kind enough to inform me that I didn't have to participate if I didn't want to, but that it would be a good way to meet people inside the gun biz and maybe get me out of my shell a little bit. I thought about this, and figured "Well, the pig is going to die regardless of what I do, so I might as well hang out with people."

As it turns out, getting there was half of the adventure. Short version:
  • Drive several hours to a place in Cocoa. 
  • Don't find anyone at that place. Call Oleg and ask WTF?
  • Wait for owner of business to show up. 
  • Follow owner back to his family's home. This was another 20 minutes of driving, some of which was on unpaved roads. 
  • Meet Oleg at the house. Observe that there were quite a lot of these folks, one of whom had tattoos down both arms and up to his neck. 
  • Realize that my feelings of intimidation at seeing large tattooed man are prejudicial and I shouldn't be judging him by his appearance. 
He really was a nice guy, but dang. Neck tattoos just disturb me.
Picture courtesy of Oleg Volk
  • Remain freaked out regardless of logic. 
  • Move my gear into Oleg's rental. 
  • Drive what felt like several more hours well south of Melbourne. 
  • Ask Oleg, "So, uh... just how well do you know these folks?"  Be informed that they "passed the sniff test."  Not sure how to take that. 
  • Get off the interstate and drive several miles on dirt roads through palmetto groves and hammocks. 
  • Arrive with basically an hour of daylight left. 
As it turns out, they really were very nice people and I felt like an ass for having my doubts about them. As a dog person, I cannot help but feel that anyone who loves a dog is a good person, so seeing the way Buck and Dwayne treated their dogs really put me at ease. 

The subject of a hunt was a truly massive feral hog. Oleg took pictures of it in the back of the trailer as the menfolk used a cattle prod to corral it; I studiously ignored what was going on and concentrated on getting to know the dogs. Slim and Trim, shown above, are the chaser dogs of some breed that I don't recall. They were quite feisty and once let out of their cages they ran around chasing each other. Slim (who isn't very slim these days) just wanted to chase, and so I ran around a bit with her, but Trim was far more friendly and mobile and had a habit of jumping onto the tailgate of the jacked-up pickup. This put her at eye level with me, and she enjoyed licking my face. Awww!

Who's awesome? Trim's awesome!
Shown in his cage below Trim is Hank, their pitbull. Hank is very much a working dog whose job is to bite a hog on the neck and keep it in place. He was howling with anticipation the entire time -- I imagine it was something like "I can smell that hog! Let me out of here! I wanna chase it and bite it!" I stuck my hand near the cage for him to sniff but he wasn't interested. Didn't growl, but didn't sniff either -- I got the feeling that if I wasn't going to let him out of the cage, he didn't want anything to do with me. 

Finally, the fateful moment had come. Oleg handed me his camera and readied his rifle. My job was to follow him and take pictures once the hunt was finished. Buck and Dwayne released the hog, and Slim & Trim took off after it, harassing it and keeping it from running in a straight line. Oleg took off after them, and I followed him. 

It was while I was crashing through the palmetto grove that I had the strange experience of hearing my own voice inside my head talking to me. The conversation went something like this:

Erin, you're chasing after a 300+ pound feral hog with only a camera. Are you really sure this this a smart idea?
Well, I have two dogs and a heavily-armed Russian in front me. I should be okay. And I do have my pistol with me as well. 
Okay, but just keep in mind you are running towards danger when the sensible course is in the opposite direction. 
Duly noted, self. 

As I was chasing after Oleg, who was chasing the dogs who were chasing the hog, I noticed that there were a few times when he had what I thought was a clear line of fire. I later discovered this was Oleg being sporting and giving the hog a good run. 

The details of the next part are pretty vague, but I recall at one point Hank was set loose in order to corner the hog -- perhaps Slim or Trim had gotten too close and were in danger of being mauled. Once Hank got his teeth in, the hog basically gave up. 

It was time for the shooting. Slim and Trim were called back to safety; Hank was given the "release" command; one of the men made a "booga booga" type sound. The hog got up and, from my vantage point, appeared to charge straight at Oleg. 

How did my pistol get in my hand? Huh. I'm proud that my finger was off the trigger and the muzzle was pointed at the ground, but I was ready to empty the entire magazine into it if it came at me. 

The hog charged. Oleg raised the rifle, and smoothly shot it right in the head at a distance of what looked like five feet (but was actually more like twenty). It dropped, as things shot in the head are wont to do. 


This is the picture I took of him immediately after the hunt. I took at least a dozen pictures using his expensive high-tech camera. I think maybe he liked two of them. 

Oh well. Like I told him, "You get what you pay for."

After that the pig was posed and other pictures were taken, this time by Oleg. 



As twilight began to settle in, we were given the opportunity to shoot the RFB for ourselves. Once again I was able to bask in a moment of awesome by reaching into my gear and producing something unexpected but useful: a shooting mat by Voodoo Tactical. 

Two targets -- a chunk of wood and an empty Gatorade bottle -- were placed approximately 25 yards away. I shot first at the wood, in a prone position, and then at the bottle in a seated position, using a Nightforce 1-4x24 scope

Here's how I did:



My thoughts on the RFB are as follows:
  • A very accurate rifle. 
  • I love the ergonomics and the fact that it's ambidextrous. 
  • Recoil was not a problem for me, as I shoot a Mosin. 
  • Unfortunately, after each shot the rifle spat a cloud of gunsmoke right into my eyes. 
This last point is a huge factor: A semi-auto that forces me to look away from the target because I am blinking away tears from acrid smoke in my eyes is no use to me. If Kel-Tec would fix this one issue, I would rave about the RFB and its operation and recommend one to everyone, but as it stands now I will not own one. 

EDIT: Oleg tells me that the smoke blowing into my eyes is a result of the suppressor. Not having shot an un-suppressed RFB, I can't comment. If I get the chance to, and my opinion changes, I will be sure to let everyone know. /edit

After the shoot, we packed up and drove back to Cocoa, where Oleg and I had a celebratory dinner at a Thai restaurant. Given the excitement of the day, I was half-expecting ninjas to jump out and attack us. 

Sadly, there were no ninjas. :(

14 comments:

  1. No ninjas?

    Or just no *incompetent* ninjas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure I would have noticed if they'd attacked me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a couple points:
    1. I'd think killing wild pig is ok, since they're a destructive invasive species on this continent.  Oh, and I've been told that they're damn tasty.  I do agree that people shouldn't go out to kill thing just because they're there, but killing so I can get some ham?  Yes please.  Of course, I've never been hunting, so I don't know if I could pull the trigger on a living breathing animal.

    2.  About the pictures?  I wouldn't feel bad that he didn't like a bunch of the pictures you took.  The pros take boat loads of pictures, and throw out a bunch of them because they decide they suck.  I'd feel good about the fact that he (a pro) *did* like a couple you took! 

    Oh, and I'm jealous.  I really want to try out that RFB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know they're a destructive species, and I will happily eat them. I just get queasy at the thought of killing an animal. That would probably change were I starving. 

    The RFB is a pleasure to handle, and shot really really well. I just hated the smoke in my eyes. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Okay, but just keep in mind you are running towards danger when the sensible course is in the opposite direction."

    now you're getting to the fun part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the fodder... two posts! :) http://zercool.blogspot.com/2012/12/hunting-killing-and-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Neck tattoos just disturb me."

    Heh. I know someone who might change your mind about that. Woman living nearby: several tats, including neck art. I like the "Live Free or Die" one. Actually... I'm a sexist pig, but I like the one on her chest, too. Really. It's quite well done; I think it does qualify as real art. It's just... so does the rest of her. [grin]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not saying it's poor taste or that anyone who has one is a bad person. They just kinda freak me out, along with tats on the hand/finger and that damn teardrop thing just under the eye. 

    I'll try my best not judge anyone who has one, but my initial impression is one of "You aren't going to hurt me, are you?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had money I'd willingly bet that "You aren't going to hurt me, are you?" would NOT be your initial impression upon seeing this woman. Unless you're kinkier than I thought. Hey, she even has a dog (gorgeous Husky). [grin]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, and thanks for the honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not surprising that they didn't. Ninjas are known for their thoroughness and preparedness. Attacking immediately wouldn't be prudent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do not worry; you are far from alone in your dislike for whacking Bambis...  For me it is more a matter of squeamishness (you want me to do WHAT with it after I have shot it?), but, regardless, I have no issues with other people doing it.  

    Squeamishness aside, if I ever have a birdfeeder again, any squirrel near it is fair game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Ninjas were all in the hotel room next door having a party until 2 a.m.

    What an excellent experience.  I'm glad you did that.  

    ReplyDelete
  14. hardware store? :)

    the RFB does look like a pleasure.

    bacon uber alles?

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.