How to Generate Mail the Erin Palette Way
First, throw out the system in the Core Book. In my experience, it generates too much mail too quickly. If you find this is not the case for your particular band of murderhobos, use the rules as written.
Second, use this flowchart:
- Begin with the Population Rating of the planet you are on. This is your base number.
- +2 to base number if this is a High Tech (TL 12+) planet.
- -2 to base number if this is a Low Tech (TL 5-) planet.
- -4 to base number (cumulative with above) if both worlds are on an Xboat route.
- If modifier of -10 or more: -2 DM
- If modifier of -9 to -5: -1 DM
- If modifier of -4 to +4: +0 DM
- If modifier of 5 to 9: +1 DM
- If modifier of 10 or more: +2 DM
- Optional rule: a +2 DM to this roll may be given if at a Starport of C, D, or E quality to represent mail piling up without regular outbound service.
- Their ship must be armed.
- They must have a full-time gunner aboard.
- Optional: Roll Rank (Scouts) or Social Status + Admin (8+) to represent bureaucratic approval.
- Roll 1d6-1, minimum of one [or 1d10/2 if you're polyhedral].
- This is how many dtons of mail in Uniform Mail Containers (1 dton each) are available.
- Each dton of mail is worth 5,000 Credits if delivered in a timely manner.
You've got mail!