Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Backfire Effect

I admit, I'm not huge fan of Adam Ruins Everything, but I like this clip for 3 reasons:
  1. He's getting beaten up
  2. BY A GIRL
  3. Who makes great points on why a lot of arguing doesn't work. 
There's good information here, and I think it's useful for people who like me are constantly talking to, and sometimes arguing against, people who want to take our rights away. The part about Identity Protective Cognition explains why people "double down" when confronted with facts, and the advice to provide people with "an alternative narrative that is true" rather than just telling them they're wrong while shoving facts at them is good advice for everyone .

I hope you find this useful. 



Here's a list of the sources cited:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.