Thursday, September 20, 2007

A New Literary Challenge

Quoting Jeff at Conditional Axe:
So I'm grading, and I read the following sentence. I swear on the grave of Henry Thoreau that I am not even embellishing this in the slightest.

Witch children fallow the elder's footsteps.

That's like a Led Zeppelin lyric.
It is indeed awesome, Jeff, and ripe with literary potential. I think I could write a short story based on the premise inherent in that sentence.

So, I think I will.

I encourage all of my literary-minded readers to make something out of this fantastic line -- short story, poem, screenplay, vulgar haiku -- and have it up on their blogs by Friday, 28 September, 2007. I will link to all participants, and those whom impress me will receive a patented Palette Gloom Cookie.

EDIT: The word is fallow, not follow.

----------------
Now playing: E Nomine - Mitternacht
via FoxyTunes

10 comments:

  1. um, at least 44 pages of FD is based entirely on the first verse of Radihead's "Lucky", and thats just one - Jaris Cocker, Lily Allen,Public Enemy, Spiritualized, Sleater-Kinney, and the Wu-Tang clan all have lyrical quotes an references in there. So i wanna know...
    do i still get the cookie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so out of practice typing - my spelling is shit. sorry bout that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope we see some quality arise from these ashes. So that I can take it back to the offending student and shout "THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er, I just realized that says "fAllow" instead of fOllow, which could add a completely different slant on things. I'll write mine to start with on "follow" and I can submit another if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Fallow is part of what makes it awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, alright. I've written the "Follow" version and posted it already. Read and suffer.

    I'll write the "fallow" version later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There, you have a fallow and a follow now, and I will not sit back and quietly let my fingers fall off. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying hard to find a way to do this without being literal. Just to be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Witch children fallow elder's footsteps,
    Hoots wander at the mid night,
    all way ally way and in come feet
    Mom, can I have a cookie to eat?

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.