Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Streets of Fire

Through an odd confluence of events I don't understand (perhaps the dread algorithm in play?), lots of people on Facebook are suddenly talking about Streets of Fire, the 1984 cult classic which spawned a hit song even though the movie itself wasn't very successful at the time. 

Streets of Fire is a very odd film, which is probably why it isn't more widely known. It's a very 1980s film, a sort-of-but-not-quite rock opera, but it's set in an era that could be anywhere between the late 40s and early 60s. It's a period piece without a discernable period, at least to my eyes. A friend of mine called it "a western set in the rust belt", but I disagree; I would summarize the plot as "The Little Soldier Boy and the Leader of the Pack fight for the heart of the Homecoming Queen." 

It also stars a shockingly young-looking Willem Dafoe, which is curious since he was also in 1986's Platoon where he managed to look a decade older. 

But for me, the most interesting thing about Streets of Fire is that one of its songs -- and in my opinion, the best song of the whole movie -- is Nowhere Fast, as lip-synced by Diane Lane.

 


Also, if you're a fan of 1980s anime you can see how it inspired parts of Bubblegum Crisis. Priss and the Replicants are a Japanese cyberpunk Ellen Aim and the Attackers, and you can definitely hear how 1984's Something Fast inspired & influenced 1987's Konya wa Hurricane



I don't really have any great point to make, other than that I like both songs and it's neat to see the link between them. 

1 comment:

  1. So that's what that was.

    I remember seeing part of it one on cable once.

    Once.

    I don't think they showed it that much anyway.

    Now I'll have to track it down and watch it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.