Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Moment of Clarity

It has come to my attention that some of you are laboring under the impression that I announced I would be taking a break from posting on this blog, and that Troy would be taking over for the forseeable future.

If this is the case, I grieve for the reading comprehension of this nation.

Yes, I confess that in Apologies, I wrote that I wasn't sure if/when I would be able to continue writing, and that I was working on securing a guest writer to help pick up my slack. However, the very next day I posted again.

Look at the differences between the two posts. I think it's quite clear that in the first, I am still quite deeply depressed, and in the second I have begun to emerge. (Yes, the progress in the fan response for saving Jericho is what got me out of the funk. What of it?)

However, at no time in either of those posts did I say I was going away or would stop writing. I can sort of understand how you might have gotten that impression from reading "Apologies", but since the very next day saw me returning to form, I can only conclude that anyone who continued to operate under that assumption either
  1. doesn't bother to read everything that I post, or
  2. is a fucking moron.
Yeah, I said it. I am goddamn sick and tired of the way every form of media in this country panders to the lowest common denominator, and I refuse to do that to my readers. Now I'm not asking you to have a perfect SAT score to understand my blog, but by Eris if you lack the basic reading skills to comprehend that "Hey, I feel like writing again!" means "Oh look, I'm done being emo for a while, let's get back to daily updates," then just do me a favor, ok?

Stop reading this blog.

Seriously. I'm not going to talk down to you. I'm going to use sesquipedalian vocabulary, make obscure references, and talk about whatever tickles my fancy, and I expect you all to keep up. If you don't understand something, feel free to ask for an explanation, but do not ever ask me to tone it down, because if you do I'll write a post in Chinese just to spite you all.

Erin Palette: Bitter, yet delicious. Like a bucket of poison, I am deep and unforgiving.

So, now that's been straightened out, let me progress to Parte Deux, aka Why I Let a Hickman in my Blog. I did it for basically three reasons:
  1. Comic book blogs are big attention-getters, and like most bloggers I am an attention whore. I want to attract more viewers to Lurking Rhythmically, and the easiest way to do that is to talk about comics. My readership tends to spike every time I write a "Comic Book X written by Y author," but it takes time to make those. I figured, Hey, Troy knows comics, seeing as how he's, y'know, actually written one, so why not have him guest?
  2. Troy is a great writer, and he deserves more exposure. If I can get one person to read his stuff because they saw him here, then it was worth it.
  3. Sometimes I need to take time off, whether it's because I'm sick, on vacation, or holed up in my room dressed in black and listening to the Cure nonstop because I'm depressed. When this happens, it's good to know that my blog will not lie fallow. It'll be in good hands, and I know that Troy will keep it from losing momentum. This also allows me to enjoy my weekends without worrrying, Should I be updating my blog instead of seeing this movie? Having a backup, a co-pilot, a wingman, if you will, keeps me from being a slave to the blog and returns it to its original purpose: something that I post to for the enjoyment of it, not because it's something I feel duty-bound to attend.
So there you go. I'm not leaving this blog any time soon, and neither is Troy (well, unless he chooses to.) And if, during the course of this post, I have offended you, then I sincerely beg you to forgive me fuck off if you can't take a joke.

8 comments:

  1. OK, I'm out of here.

    I keed! I keed!

    How come every blog that mentions me also has the phrase "fucking moron" in it?

    And points to you, Paletteer, for using "sesquipedalian," one of the most frequently used words in my vocabularly (right up there with "sentient," "myriad," and "cognizant").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, that was a few choice buckets of bile to dodge.

    I'd just like to go on record as saying that I did, in fact, READ Sirrah Hickman's fine post. I didn't comment, however, as (if I'm being brutally honest), I'm not familiar with his work, or his blogging style.

    I'm sure I'll comment more in the future on his posts, and unless he bores me to tears (which I doubt he'll do), I'll comment on them in the future.

    No offense, as I'm sure you realize, Troy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say i bought the collection because you got him on here, and I can not wait to get it in the mail so i can read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still here......still stalking.....just doing it stealthy sneaky like. Thus the no comments in a while, makes me harder to spot.

    Does this mean, by default, I am also now a guest stalker of your guest writer? That could get confusing. Plus, Sir Troy always seems to be losing his pants. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Any update on the helium punk novel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Russia, pants lose YOU...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...because if you do I'll write a post in Chinese just to spite you all."

    I cannot be the only person who thinks that you must do this.

    ...Well, maybe not a post in Chinese per-se.

    But a post in phonetically transliterated Chinese would be pretty awesome, I think. As well as hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.