So, when last we left our intrepid band of Superhero Wannabes, they had been narrowed down to three contestants:
- Hyper-Strike, a rambunctious martial artist and circus performer who might well have sprung fully-formed from the pages of a Shōnen manga, and the odds-on favorite to win due to his winning smile and embodiment of goofy wholesomeness;
- Hygena, the zaftig domestic goddess who seemed to be there mostly to keep the finale from being a total sausage-fest (I mean, really: did anyone seriously think she ever stood a chance? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm keen to find out);
- and The Defuser: 6'4", 230 lbs of pure awesome. In addition to being a real-life police detective, he is also one of the biggest nerds out there (and I mean that in the best, most complimentary way possible, since I'm one too) -- he plays City of Heroes online, D&D on tabletop, and has ten thousand comic books polybagged in his garage. He also has a pretty kickin' MySpace page.
Honestly, I expected Hyper-Strike to win. He has "Spider-Man" fanboy written all over him (again, I mean that in the best way possible) and just seemed to hit all the right qualifications without missing a stride. Defuser, on the other hand, was up on the red blocks quite a bit for being too bossy, not bossy enough, giving part of his costume to a child, etc etc etc, and since he's a police officer, I figured Stan would go the "You are a Super Hero in real life, you don't need to win this to prove it" route.
So when my boy from CoH actually won the dang thing... well, I think I peed myself a little.
I think his winning is due to three things:
- He actively listened to Stan's criticisms and modified his behavior along those lines. I don't think he was ever criticized for the same thing twice.
- He was there for his compatriots emotionally. Look at how he counseled Limelight, comforted Whip-Snap and confronted Mr. Mitzvah when everyone else thought he was the mole but didn't have the guts to say it.
- He had two attack dogs hanging onto him in one of the final challenges and still managed to stand up. Dayum!
By the way, does anyone think Defuser happens to look like a much more in-shape Greg Grunberg, or is it just me?
And so ends this year's posting season of Who Wants To Be A Super Hero. Excelsior!
Now playing: Juno Reactor - High Energy Photons