So for those of you who missed it, this weekend's episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was one long love-letter to its fans. It was pure pandering (but of the best sort), as it was full of references and call-backs and confirmation of fan theories, because it gave favorite background ponies important speaking roles and relegated the Mane Six to "once again saving the town".
There's so much that's wonderful about this episode that I'm geeking out about it.
- Derpy speaks AND has an important, starring role! True, they don't call her Derpy Hooves -- I don't think they say her name at all -- but that's unimportant. HER EYES ARE PROPERLY DERPED and that's all that matters.
- Doctor Whooves is canon! True, they don't call him that either, or say the words "Time Lord" or "TARDIS" -- but it's so heavily implied that it's essentially stated outright.
|Look! It's even got a floaty central thing!|
- Also, Derpy is now totally the Doctor's companion. Allons-y!
- The dark truth about Bon Bon's many voices can finally be revealed. And strange jobs. And why she shows up in crowd scenes.
- Octavia and Vinyl Scratch are now canonically roommates. And they have a jam session.
- And in case you missed it, there was one frame where the creative team showed up in horse masks:
Yes, it's quite obvious that as of this episode, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has...
... jumped the shark.
I bucking LOVE my fandom.