Saturday, September 9, 2017

I Hate To Say I Told You So

Ah, who am I kidding?


  • Clinton vs Sanders.
  • Trump vs Clinton. 
  • Battfleck. 
  • The Fall of The House of Whedon.
  • Antifa is not your friend

I keep predicting these things, and I keep getting them right, and nobody listens. I'm starting to get a Cassandra Complex over here.

In the mid 1960's, UC Berkeley was home to the one of the biggest acts of mass civil disobedience, led by students demanding the campus lift restrictions against political speech on the campus, it was dubbed "the home of the free speech movement." Decades later, it was the catalyst point when professional troll Milo Yannapoulis arrived to give a speech and on the same night Antifa decided he shouldn't, and the casualties against the "racist, fascist KKK" (according to the chants) were ATMs, Starbucks windows, and various trash bins.

And the times, they are a-changin'
A month or so before, Alt-Right poster boy (and, I suspect, controlled opposition) Richard Spencer was punched by somebody in a mask and black hoodie. That YouTube video has over 3 million views and spawned the frankly annoying #PunchANazi meme. I can't help but think of the stock response to the strawman MRA argument of "why can't I punch women if they punch me first?" that I always hear: Stop punching people. Why do you want to go around punching people?

 And in the months before even this, during the election, there were scrawny black-clad figures attacking people at political rallies. And they haven't stopped. The sad thing is you can't disavow them or their actions without the inevitable cries of "Oh so you support the Nazis huh?" As if it's somehow impossible to dislike Nazis while also disliking LARPing Anarcho-communist kids with silver spoons in their mouth and bike locks and pepper spray in their hands.

A few months ago, Snopes debunked the claim that Antifa had been declared by the DHS a terrorist organization. You'll have to take my word for it, as I can't even find an archive of that now, and that article is gone from their internal search engine, but just a weeks ago, it happened very publicly and since then the media narrative has started to shift. A petition first started circulating through the internet over at whitehouse.gov to formally recognize Antifa as a terrorist organization. It now has almost 350 thousand signatures and still another week before it closes. Just this last week it was revealed that a joint task force between the FBI and DHS classified their activities as domestic terrorism and had been doing so since early 2016... before Trump was even elected.

So again, I really hate to say I told you so (I don't, I really don't), but I called it once again, Left. I called it and instead of listening, you all just went out and hashtag-punched-a-Nazi. Or anyone on the Right. Or someone who looked like a Nazi. Or someone who disagreed with you. Or someone who disagreed with punching a Nazi. Or someone on your own side who also wanted to punch Nazis.

Before last week, you'd normally only see only conservative sites like The Daily Caller or Conservative Review pushing for this designation. Now you have The Daily Beast, The Hill, and Bustle weighing in on it. Only Salon has remained strangely silent, offering up a feeble piece about how Antifa is helping in aid for Hurricane Harvey (yet doesn't seem to cover any actual Antifa groups in the article). The Democratic Party has been distancing themselves, with even the Mayor of Berkeley (once tied to the group "By Any Means Necessary" and infamous for directing the police not to engage rioters in Berkeley) and House Majority leader Nancy Pelosi denouncing them. There's blood in the water, metaphorically this time.

I tried to warn you, Left. I really did.

Due to evacuating from Hurricane Irma, our esteemed editor is not available to proofreed my article this week. Any missed opportunities for fancy editing or typographical errors are entirely my fault. We wish you well, Erin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.