Sunday, April 9, 2023

Scenes from my household on Easter Sunday

Mom, making her traditional Easter Bread: "I think the yeast I used is too old. The bread isn't rising."

Me: "That's okay, instead of Easter Bread it'll be Passover Bread."



Later, I discover that the yeast did manage to raise the bread. 

Me, thinking: "It would be blasphemous for me to say Hallelujah! The bread is risen indeed, wouldn't it? Best not risk it."



Fun fact: When I was little, I asked my good Christian mother why we were making deviled eggs on Easter, when the devil was bad. Shouldn't we call them angeled eggs? And thus they have been called angeled eggs by my family ever since. 



We also have a family tradition of serving a cake on Easter (I don't know why, other than "It's a holiday and cakes are yummy.") For the past I don't know how many years, the cake has been a Pepperidge Farm Classic Coconut Layer Cake, often decorated with jelly beans pressed into the top. 

Mom: "Here's a slice of cake. Or do you want two?"

Me: "I want all of the slices. But I will try to be satisfied with just the one."

Morgan Freeman: "She was, in fact, not satisfied with just the one."



May you who celebrate Easter have a wonderful holiday, and may everyone else have a good Sunday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.