Sunday, November 11, 2012

Operation: Tamalanche

If you're a gunnie or a regular reader of this blog, you are aware that someone I know and admire has been diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma and that we in the gun-blog-o-sphere have rallied around her in a flurry of fundraising that I like to call Operation: Tamalanche.

Can the rest of you start calling it that, too? I think that name has a nifty ring to it.

Anyway, despite the fact that all the awesome raffles have been getting the lion's share of the attention, I've already heard from six folks who want to contribute to the Care Package. I'm not sure if I should start naming names -- some folks may want to remain safely anonymous (if you want to be publicly recognized, let me know in comments or email) -- but this means that our goodie bag has already tripled in volume.

Since plenty of folks have been emailing me with questions like "What can I contribute?" and "Where should I send it?" and "Which great opponent of Cartesian dualism resists the reduction of psychological phenomena to a physical state and insists there is no point of contact between the extended and the unextended?", I figured I would just make a blog post about it rather than keep answering all these questions over email.


1) The goal of this package is to raise her morale and make her smile. Therefore, I suggest you donate one of the following:

  • Something savory. I'm told that Tam likes meat and things which are salty. If you go this route, make sure it ships well and isn't going to go bad in a few days. 
  • Something silly. A toy, a stuffed animal, something that references a joke you two may have shared. It doesn't need to have any practical value -- if it makes her laugh or smile, then mission accomplished. 
  • Something fun.  Tam loves books, so get her something from her Amazon wishlist. Alternately, pick up a trashy adventure novel in the Mack Bolan vein; I'm pretty sure they're more her thing than a Harlequin Romance. (Although truth be told, I am sorely tempted to buy her a trashy novel about a time-travelling viking who becomes a Navy SEAL, just for the sheer WTF-ness. If you do something like this, you've just got to let me know!)
  • If you've got no clue, then email Brigid or Roberta X asking for ideas. I'm sure they can think of something. 

2)  The_Jack is going to be our Point of Contact, since he lives in the same city as Tam. He has requested that his physical address not be posted across the internet, but if you email me (erin DOT palette AT gmail DOT com) requesting it, I'll get it to you within a day. 


3) Henri Bergson.


And if you do end up contributing to this care package,  it will increase your chances of winning the handgonne auction that is being run by The_Jack. Everyone wants a 50 caliber firearm with no moving parts, don't they?

10 comments:

  1. It only has no moving parts until you light the fuse.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it on very good authority that someone (who shall not be named) has bought Viking Unchained and will be sending it to The Jack.

    The inscription inside the cover may (or may not) be accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could send biltong*, but your customs fellows would frown mightily and undoubtedly confiscations would occur... so I sent money instead.

    * Homemade biltong, nogal, from something stupid enough to stand still for too long too close to me, out in the Karoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Operation: Tamalanche" wins the non-existent naming contest, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh....due to Firefox tabs cutting off the post title, I came in to this thinking it was "Operation Tamale".  Dangit, that's just mean!  Now I've got the munchies.

    Oh, and the wife and I have already contributed elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! And you win "Best Commenter"!  :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you and your facts and your logic... :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which is a pity, because that sounds exactly like the kind of thing she'd enjoy. 

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.