Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dabbleboard

One of the big problems I had to overcome while planning my L5R campaign was running combat remotely. I had decided that, for various reasons, a webcam aimed at a map and miniatures would not work. The most logical solution seemed to be a Virtual Table Top of some kind.

Problem: VTTs have a high learning curve, are filled with junk that I don't need, and are typically expensive. Why, I thought to myself, can't I just have a whiteboard and magic markers like I used in college? And that was obviously the solution to my problem: I didn't need a VTT, I needed a virtual whiteboard.

After some investigation, I happened upon Dabbleboard. While I have yet to use this application for a game, I took an instant liking to the program just by fooling around with it. Not only is it easy and intuitive to use, it has all sorts of neat features:
  • shape recognition
  • ability to save images
  • ability to upload images
  • a grid overlay
  • an integrated text and voice chat application
This promises to be really neat. I can upload maps and all sorts of other handouts for the game, and I can mark all over them during combat. And the best part is that it's 100% free!

If you'd like to find out more about this amazing GM tool, here is a tutorial video:



I can't wait to use this for my campaign.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh.  Thank you, ma'am.  That one's going on the bookmarks list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's pretty cool.  We've been using corkboard.me to supplement Skype with remote players; it's like a wiki with less fucking around.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.