Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Everyday Carry: the Nebo Blueline

So JayG over at MArooned has written a blog post about not having an everyday carry flashlight (bad gunnie! Bad!) and how he should fix that. Lots of people weighed in with their suggestions, and I figured since I was already headed this way I might as well turn it into a blog post, because laziness.

(I can't really call this a product review, because I haven't tested this item thoroughly. Take it more in the vein of "I bought this, I like this, it's nifty" rather than a full-scale product endorsement.)

The model which I carry is the Nebo Blueline. It is a great little light that has yet to let me down, although admittedly I've only used it for walking the dogs at night and navigating the house during a power outage.


I bought this for three main reasons:

  1. It cost $15 at the gun store. Most "tactical" lights are in the $50+ range. 
  2. It uses one AA battery. Most lights use multiple expensive CR123 batteries. 
  3. It is small. At 4" long, it's perfect for pocket carry. Compare this to a Mini Maglite, which comes in at 6". I know how you guys are with your inches, but sometimes smaller is better...




It has other nifty features, such as:

  •  an output of 130 Lumens (honestly, I'm not sure if it's really that bright or not, but it's easily in the 90-100 range, which is my minimum for a tac light, and damn impressive for fifteen bucks)
  • a strobe function
  • an illuminated switch
  • a striking cap for defense
  • a belt/pocket clip for secure carry
  • a magnet in the base for hands-free mounting  (though I question its holding strength)
  • the obligatory "shockproof, weather-proof" body of aircraft aluminum

Don't get me wrong: this is not a be-all and end-all light. But it's bright enough for the price, and the price is low enough that if you lose it, or it's confiscated, you aren't out a whole lot of money. 


I carry one, and so does my mother. If this light ever fails me, I will update this page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.