Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday Gunday: Catching up with gunbloggers

Yes, I know, Monday Gundays have been exceedingly sparse of late. Ammo is still expensive here (especially 9mm and .22LR), so that eliminates indoor shooting. My outdoor range is closed for repairs/renovation, which suits me fine since during the summer it's hot enough to melt aluminum anyway. Hopefully actual shooting will occur once cooler temperatures emerge.

So let's check in with some gunblogger friends, shall we?

1. 
McThag is just $100 shy of his very modest $500 Kilted to Kick Cancer goal. I encourage everyone to support him, because 1) he is a friend of mine and 2) he was so very discouraged about his chances of making his goal that I was worried this would be the last year he would participate.

Look, we all know JayG is going to win this year, like he does every year. All I'm asking is that you help McThag reach his goal, and then you can donate to the prize-bearing folks like last time.


2.
Squeaky Wheel is making progress on her surgical front. She had a CT scan on Friday, and today she has appointments with both surgeons.  Based on her morning consult with her oncology surgeon (just in case that tumor was cancerous, which they're pretty sure they aren't now) it seems like her surgery will be laparoscopic rather than the predicted "Gut her like a fish, pull everything out, remove uterus and nodule, then push innards back inside" surgery.  This is all incredibly good news, and on behalf of S.W. I thank everyone who's been praying for her and wishing her well.

Surgery is tentatively scheduled for end of the month or beginning of next, and after that we'll have a better idea of what this final bill is and how much she'll need to handle prescriptions and other expenses. She's fine for now, but we just might need to do another fundraiser in October to help her through the lean period.


3. 
And now, me.  Again, I'd like to thank everyone for being incredibly cool and supportive about my coming out, and for accepting me for who I am. I originally had planned a "I am one of you" speech during my reveal, explaining that you should judge me for my actions and not for my appearance, but in the heat of the moment I forgot all about it until days later. And I'm glad I did, because it would have detracted from the piece and, as it turns out, was entirely unneeded.

Now if it were up to me, I would speak no more of this, ever. You donated, I revealed, you accepted, let's just drop the whole thing so you can continue to think of me as I want to be thought of.  I really have no desire to be a symbol or a figurehead. But seeing as how I seem to be at the forefront, however briefly, of "alternate lifestyle gunnies," I might as well take advantage of a teachable moment and ask the following question:

"Is there anything I can do or say to help make this situation more understandable and accessible to those of you who are confused?"

If so, drop me a message/ leave a comment and I'll do what I can to clear things up.

On the other hand, if no one says boo, I will take this as an indication that everyone is fine, and I will let the matter drop with a sigh of relief, hopefully never to be mentioned again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.