Monday, August 19, 2013

SOS -- Save Our Squeaky!

I just got a panicked email from Squeaky, which I am sharing with her permission.  She thinks it puts her in a bad light, like she's crazy and money-grubbing (I told her that "crazy and grubbing for money is MY job in all this, goddammit").  I think this is truly authentic fear and worry from someone with a life-threatening condition who has gotten shafted by bureaucratic incompetence.  Either way, please read:
Okay, so here's the deal:

My bowel surgeon's office was supposed to schedule my colonoscopy over a week ago. I called and reminded them, and they were like 'ZOMG I'M SO SORRY' (because they fucked up and my orders were attached to someone else's file...you can't make this shit up) and today, scheduled a CONSULT with the colonoscopy doc for August 27th. They forgot to mention that there's a consult before the procedure.

At THAT point, my colonoscopy will be scheduled.

Then, once THAT is scheduled, and ONLY WHEN that's scheduled, my two surgeons will try to get together to schedule my surgery.

This means we're looking at mid- to late-September for surgery - that's a full month from now, and despite the good response from donations, all of these extra procedures are going to cost, and in the meantime, I have to try to afford my current prescriptions so that I can actually be current on them for Lyme and everything else when I go into surgery...not to mention other incidentals, which just seem to keep popping up, STILL, from the last surgery.

I'm going to try to make a blog post about it, but I'm so angry that all I can do right now is just rant about it, and ranty blog posts like this rarely get good responses.

I have an out-of-pocket limit, which I'm going to call my insurance and find out how close I am to it, so that people maybe have a goal, but right now, my "for surgery" money isn't going toward surgery because everything keeps changing and getting worse, and in the meantime, I have to get my meds and pay for appointments and stuff. It's frustrating to have people donate and not be able to use that money for what it's being donated for...maybe it's just me. But anyway...I'll find out about the OoP limit and see how close I am, and maybe this won't be as bad?

Until then, if you can think of something to let people know that shit just got more complicated, I'm trying to find a way to blog about it without being a total nightmare, and donations are still very much appreciated because of the complexity of the situation, I would appreciate it.

As a matter of fact, the deadline for the donations needs to be moved back, since the surgery is being moved back. I'm going to change that on the donation site, at the very least, and if you guys can put the word out, I would very much appreciate it. I just have to find a way to word this on my blog without sounding as freaked-out and pissed off as I am.

...and the donation site has been updated. http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/emergency-hysterectomy-need-final-push-/76788

I know y'all are busy, but just a blurb on FB or even just a link to the fundraiser would help until I get a post made, and that won't happen until I'm able to calm down.

thanks, sorry for the word vomit.

Now based upon my conversation with her, I am certain that once she has calmed down and sorted out some of the details,  she will post a more streamlined version of this letter on her blog. I am certain of this because she made me promise to make a note that she is "going to make a comprehensive (and more calm) post as soon as I find out my out-of-pocket cost, then another when I meet with the colonoscopy folks."  But I felt it was important to get the word out now, because the situation has gone from "merely bad" to "urgent." In other words, shit done got REAL, sooner than we expected.

So here's the deal:  She needs more money than projected. I've run out of stretch goals to offer because I can't think of anything I can give other than degrading myself or selling my guns, which is something that neither of us wants (and if I did either, she'd find me and hurt me).

But I need ways to bring in more funds. I've already started hitting up people for another fundraiser, but I don't know when that will happen. This is further complicated by the fact that September is Kilted to Kick Cancer month, and the last thing we need is dueling fundraisers.

What it boils down to, then, is this:  HELP.   This endeavor has become far larger than I can manage on my own. I need help with advertising it, I need help with goodies for the raffle, I just need help in general because I can't carry this by myself any more.

Please. Help me to help Squeaky.

SOS!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.